I feel like I'm taking baby steps towards tackling my dream project - perfect vintage jeans - and these wide leg trousers are just one step down that road.
The pattern is EvaDress 3322, which is a reproduction of Simplicity 3322 circa 1940, and I used navy gaberdine fabric from Spotlight.
Overall, I'm really happy with how these came out BUT be warned, I made four muslins before I got the fit right.
I'm about a 35 inch waist and 48 inch hips, and the pattern had so much ease in the trousers that I used a size 40 (to fit 34 waist and 43 hip).
I was also expecting them to be rather long in the crotch but they were actually quite short and needed adjusting.
- used a back-zipper instead of side buttons
- lengthened the total crotch depth by 3/4 inch front and back
- added extra seam allowance to back seam for zip
- took in at the waist by half an inch
- removed excess width on the back of the legs, about an inch
- shortened legs by an inch
These are supremely comfortable pants, and I can't wait to make the full overalls version from the packet as well.
Well, now I have the basis for my jeans sorted - time to get started, right?