Well, they've finally happened.
I've been dreaming of 1940's wide leg jeans for a VERY long time, but honestly, I've been too scared to try and make them.
I mean, the fitting, the top stitching - it all seemed like so much effort to get wrong! And denim isn't the cheapest fabric to mess up with either. What if I made a mistake?
But here I am over the moon in Jeansville, and they worked out.
I relied heavily on Simplicity 4990 for inspiration (boy's jeans from 1954), and modified the EvaDress Wide Leg Trousers 3322.
|Pattern photo credit: DaisyandErma on Etsy|
To figure out how wide I wanted the legs, I compared them to some Freddies of Pinewood jeans in my closet - then pinched out the excess width from the EvaDress trouser pattern down the centre. I believe I took a total of 6 inches excess width out of each leg to narrow the fit.
The denim is just a basic navy from Lincraft, but it has an ever so slight stretch. A back zipper instead of a front zipper of course!
- Pinched out 3 inches width from the centre of trousers, front and back, to reduce the excess width
- Folded pants pocket
- 1950s pattern said to use snaps on the pockets - I used buttons and button holes
If I can pass on one piece of advice I've learnt about perfecting pants this year, it's don't put them off. Making 4-5 muslins in the past month has been painful (and not cheap) but the end product has been totally worth it.